Monday, October 12, 2009

50's Bop and Chili Cook-off!

This past Friday was a busy one in our household. I spent the day with some friends playing changy-rearrangy in my living room. Trying to figure out furniture placement in order to make my living room bigger. I think we pretty much achieved what I wanted, but not quite sure if I love it yet. (It's now starting to grow on me!) In between all the changing furniture I finished the poodle skirt and shirt I was working on for Laney's daddy daughter 50's dance at her school! It was a lot of fun to make, thanks to my friend Cyndi's MAJOR help. I never could have figured it out on my own! :) It turned out cute despite it not being pink as Laney put it. (Who would have thought that for school and her birthday when all she wanted was lime green clothes and scarves, that she would now want a pink skirt instead of a green one!) Anyway, while cooking chili and cornbread for our ward chili cook-off, I helped Laney and the hub get ready for the big dance. I was super excited for them and think they looked pretty darn sharp!

Not quite sure why my hubby has such a tough guy look on his face, but he sure played the part quite well don't ya think? I sure thought he looked "cool" in his "Danny" attire! He even wore white socks!
They had a wonderful time dancing to the jive and "Hoedown." They even had pictures taken at the dance that turned out adorable! Now if I can only figure out how to scan them in so I can post them.....

While they were out dancing the night away, me and the boys headed over to the church for the chili cook off. Little man fell asleep on the way over, but woke when I told them there was food and pumpkins. It was a relaxing night and the cultural hall was nicely decorated. I even won the grand prize for my chili! However, it wasn't my recipe; I called my friend Melinda for hers. She said she has never lost a chili cook-off with her recipe. It's a great recipe and Lemuel even liked it, which as most of you know is a big feat! Thanks Melinda for sharing your recipe and making me the "winner!" I brought home a ribbon, a little trophy and a bouquet of tootsie pops! It was a fun night for the entire family!

4 comments:

M & S Eagar said...

Congrats on the Chili win! I think cook-offs are a total blast!

And by the way, is it really true you have a 10 year old?!

mandi said...

love it! the skirt turned out adorable,and lemuel played the perfect role.
All the changes in the house have been so fun and we have had some good laughs. it's good cheap fun

Rachel Walker said...

I am so impressed! You are becoming quite the crafty little mom!

I also like you new armoir! It looks really nice. And of course the mirror. I love it!!

Jen said...

I thought I left a comment, but I must not have. Brian and I thought these pictures were great. What a fun activity for the girls, and what a good sport Lemuel was.